Tuesday, February 26, 2013

You're Never Too Young!

Many girls may read and learn about modesty and purity, and think to themselves "Oh I'm only 12, I don't have to worry about this yet." Or, "I'm only 13. I have a while before I need to think about this kind of stuff." Well, as a 13 year old, I can definitely say you are never too young to live a life of purity! Especially when it comes to modesty. As girls, no matter what age, we should be watching how we dress. We are daughters of the King of Kings! Shouldn't we dress like it too? As followers of Christ, we are called to live a life separate from this world. We should be set-apart in not only our actions and words, but also by the way we carry ourselves. And you know what? God never set an "age limit" on when we should start glorifying Him. We should forever and always, honor Christ.

On our "Books We Recommend" page (above) we listed a book titled Pure. This is actually a 90 day devotional for girls. My mom recently got it for me, and so far, I love it! This morning, I read a devo on modesty. Rebecca St. James (author of Pure) talked about setting boundaries for ourselves. Here is some of what she wrote-

I feel that we women have a responsibility not to tempt our brothers in Christ. We really need to help them out in the lust department. We need to be careful and wise in the clothes choices we make. I have set certain boundaries for myself in the way I dress. It can be a real challenge at times to find things that are modern and funky and "today" but still have an element of modesty. I try to take advantage of the unique locations I get to visit. Europe has great clothes- and I love to shop there. "How far is too far?" If our goal is to honor God with our bodies, then we will draw the line and ask God for the strength not to cross it. 

Rebecca wrote much more on that topic, but for now, I will end it there. I love how she says "I feel that we women have a responsibility not to tempt our brothers in Christ. We really need to help them out in the lust department." Because it's so true! We can't change the way guys think. It's just natural for them to see something and think one thing. When they lust, they are sinning. So, yes, that part is their fault. But who is causing them to lust? Us! When we wear short-shorts, low cut shirts, or even skin tight clothing, we can cause a man to lust- which is a sin. Matthew 5:28 says, "But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

And he said to his disciples, “Temptations to sin are sure to come, but woe to the one through whom they come! It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were cast into the sea than that he should cause one of these little ones to sin. Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”- Luke 17:1-4 

So basically, God is not cool when we cause others to sin. Plus, we should be reserving our body (and hearts!) for our future spouse. Which means for now, NO MATTER HOW YOUNG OR OLD you are, you should be living a life of modesty and purity. It's never too early to start when it comes to these two things, girls!

                                                                            
                                                Genesis


 


No comments: